Monday, April 6, 2009

What Matters Most In Life

It's Monday, what are your going to do to make a difference in your week? Everyone has the power of greatness. Not for fame, but greatness. Because greatness is determined by service. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Have you ever made a list of what matters most to you? If you haven't, now is a great time to do so. If you read my BLOG over the weekend, you know I just turned 40 on Sunday. I decided I could continue with my life as it was, being nice and a "good" person or I could really "walk-the-walk". So I made my list of what matters most to me. My list looks like this: 1. God 2. Family 3. Friends 4. Faith 5. Health 6. Love 7. Freedom 8. Happiness 9. Career I came across some "averages" that person spends time on. I found that I am not average. For one thing, my time commuting is far lower than the 100 hour average (I work from home). Another area that was way off for me was sleep hours. The average person gets 8.6 hours a night and I get far less. This got me to thinking about time. How do I spend my time? So I made a second list; How do I spend my 168 hours each week? It looks something like this: 1. 78 hours ~ Career 2. 28 hours ~ Homeschooling 3. 28 hours ~ Family Time 4. 28 hours ~ Sleep 5. 7 hours ~ Church I am becoming more aware of how fragile time is. Once it's gone, there is no getting it back. Our children grow and no longer need us to take care of them. Our bodies age and need more care and attention. I don't like the proportioned list of how I spend my time. So what can I do about it? I think it's time to re-organize my schedule. What can I cut back on? My career. I spend half of my time on my career. I know I'm starting a "business" but I'd rather not have my own business than to wake up one day and my kid's are grown and gone. Right? All I know is that I want to be proud of each year when I look back on them. I want to know that I mattered and that I was the person God called me to be. Today can be the start of something new in each of us. Take this opportunity to make the most of your life by making a difference in you, in your life and in the lives of those you love. Be EXTRAORDINARY and live an extraordinary life!

1 comment:

TAJorgensen said...

I LOVE this post!! You seem like a very dedicated woman! I wish I could be more like this!